Monday, August 2, 2010

PLAY BY SAMUEL BECKETT

I found the play entitled "Play" by Samuel Beckett rather interesting. My first impressions when the play began was that it wouldnt be interesting and looked creepy. The people completely submerged into these capsules and covered in what looked liked thick fish scales where almost scary. Then the scene was dark and gloomy with hundreds of these capsules in the back ground. In the beginning it was really hard for me to understand what was being said by the people so I had to replay certain scenes over and over again. As time went on i realized that the people in the capsules where actually dead people and were in urns. Like the urn you put ashes of a cremated body. After watching the entire play I began to wonder the message that Beckett was trying to get across to his audience. This work clearly has a lot of meaning. Each person in the urn is in what I think to be "Hell" or "Purgatory". They are constantly reliving their sins and other events that occured in their lives that they are no longer able to control or do anything about. Each person is in their own single urn which represents that they are telling their indiviual story that only they know. A lot of the "sins" you may commit through your life only you will be aware of. Those are the sins that you never speak of and will always have that guilt of not knowing what would have happened if they were exposed. Watching the play made me think about life in general. I thought of what really happens after your life has physically ended. where would my soul go? what would happen to my body? I believe these are things that Beckett wanted his audience to ask themselves. What is life after death for you? Even though this is not the typical version of "Hell" or "Purgatory" that most of us have heard or read about I still believe It makes one question anything about life after death.

No comments:

Post a Comment