Tuesday, July 13, 2010

PERSEPOLIS BLOG 1

I find myself quite interested in this novel thus far. I think Satrapi's use of pictures and short text writing like that of a comic book gives more of a visual of what the narrator is talking about. Most good writers use of words can allow the reader to see a visual of what has been written. This novel however is not the typical novel you would read because of the comic book set up. In the first chapter I found the veil explanation rather amusing. I honestly didn't know that woman and even some mean protested against the wearing of the veil. And the fact the narrator and her piers think of the veil as a joke or something to just play with shows that there might not be any point of little girls wearing them. They clearly didnt know what it was made for. The narrator even says she didnt know what it was for even though her family was very religous. The reasons the narrator gives for wanting to be a prophet are amusing but shows she is the typical child who dreams of being certain people or holding a particular position when they grow up because they believe this positions are respected, noble, etc. When the 400 victims were killed in the fire and the narrator is looking for god and he is no where to be found shows her faith. When things go bad we always turn to god for the answer. I found that interesting because she is rather young and most kids cant understand religous aspects. When the grandmother was telling ehr story about the shah and being so poor she had to fake cooking dinner by boiling water was kind of sad. I saw myself putting myself in the position of her children wandering what it felt like to know you was only smelling boiling water. As the novel continues there is a point where the father doesnt return until late that night and the mother thought he was killed. That was my first thought especially when they said taking photos of a demostration were forbidden. After the narrator read the reasons for the revolutions she quickly picked up on the fact she belonged to a different social class and felt ashamed. And the favors she did for the maid in writing to her lover was pretty nice of the narrator but i felt bad for the maid when the guy learns she is only a maid and cant read or write. When they demostrated on black friday and the man hit both of them shows him to be a coward. Hitting women and putting them in their place was accepted in their faith. I just wished I was in the story so I could slap him back for them. When the narrator and her friends grab nails and try to attack the little boy was ironic to me. She wanted him to be punished for something he could not control and had no part in. And when she tells to little girl that a trip meant your father is dead was pretty mean but just shows how some kids make joy out of the sorrow of others. I know she felt stupid when she realized he was not dead. She quickly tried to make up and play with the little girl then. The decriptions of the tortures they faced in prison along with the picture shows the cruel and crazy world we live in. I couldnt imagine being burned on my back with an iron and then cut into pieces. Every child has a hero when growing up. The narrator's was her uncle anoosh. The ironic thing about the situation concerning her uncle was he ended up going on a trip but he never returned because he was killed. Not that I was happy he died but I believe it did show the narrator its not good to make fun of or play with certain situations concerning the lives of a love one because you never know when the same thing may happen to you.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! A bit late, though... I especially like the rather outraged reactions you're having. I'm glad you're getting into the story.

    ReplyDelete